Everything looks better when the sun is shining. Festival season is in full swing, and whether you're off on your summer holidays or enjoying the good weather, there'll be something happening near you. Here's BedandBreakfastworld.com's selection of July events.
2nd - 26th July Feria de Julio, Valencia
Held every year since 1871, the Feria de Julio is one of Valencia's most traditional festivals. An extensive programme of activities includes food, parades, dance, art and plenty of music, with big-name acts performing in the Jardín de Real, and open-air orchestral concerts taking place in the city's parks as well as the bullring. One of the most impressive spectacles is the Batalla de las Flores (the Battle of the Flowers) - on the last Sunday of the feria, Valencia's beautiful your women parade through the streets throwing flowers into the crowd, who throw more flowers back.
4th July American Independence Day, New York, USA
Independence Day is celebrated all across the United States, but where better to join in the fun than the Big Apple itself? As a public holiday, very few people work on 4th July, and traditional celebrations include picnics, barbecues, parades and fireworks, with the Macy's fireworks display being one of the largest in the country. A slightly unusual tradition is Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest on Coney Island, Brooklyn, an annual event since 1916. Competitive eaters from around the world compete to eat as many hot dogs as possible in ten minutes, and tens of thousands of spectators turn up to watch.
Summer is a great time to visit Britain's capital. While there is plenty to keep you entertained in London at any time of year and in any weather, the first hint of sunshine sees everyone heading outside to browse the open-air markets at Borough or Portobello Road, picnic in one of the city's eight royal parks and gardens or just enjoy a stroll along the Thames' South Bank.
Here are a few of the major events taking place in London this year:
- 21st June - 4th July The Wimbledon Championships The oldest and most prestigious tennis tournament in the world.
- 2nd - 4th July Wireless Festival A popular music festival held every year in Hyde Park
- 3rd July Pride London London's gay pride rally, with a parade, concerts and extravagant costumes guaranteed!
- 6th - 11th July Hampton Court Palace Flower Show The world's largest annual garden and flower show, organised by the RHS.
- 11th July - British 10k A road race through central London - a novel way to see top sights including Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square and St. Paul's Cathedral.
- 16th July - 11th September The Proms A series of classical concerts taking place at the Royal Albert Hall and Cadogan Hall, organised by the BBC.
- 27th July - 29th September Summer Opening of the State Rooms, Buckingham Palace While the Queen holidays in Scotland, visitors get the chance to snoop around the normally closed state rooms.