Cottage NairobiAddress: 3rd Right, Kitale Lane, Off Dennis Pritt Rd, Caledonia, Nairobi, Kenya
Average rating: 94%
Rooms from: US$ 59.00
The Kiloranhouse consists of a cottage with a private garden and an apartment with an enchanting balcony with a stunning view of a garden. The cottage is for peace and tranquility and the apartment for those business inclined, including facility foe business meetings.
There seems to be a contradiction : those in the APARTMENT wish they were staying in the COTTAGE because of the garden and those in the COTTAGE yearn to stay in the apartment because of the balcony.
Through research it is believed the home probably derives its name from a Scottish clan of the settlers that migrated here from Scotland. At the time this borough of Nairobi was called Upper Hill and the homestead stretched all the way to Nairobi river which bordered it on the north . As the home underwent various owners so did the size of the land.
Set in an enchanting classical style, the COTTAGE has cedar wood floors in bedrooms, living room, and kitchen; ceramic tiles on kitchen top and in bathrooms. The garage door access leads to the shared bathroom which has an instant heater bathtub with telephone shower. Adjacent to it is a kitchen with a central island with a mahogany top for dining and cupboards and drawers for storage. There is a combined gas /electric cooker and a fridge.
A door further on leads to landing with a toilet on the left. Next to the toilet on the left, a natural wood railings adorn the eco-friendly staircase that leads to a very desirable Loft Living with its own toilet and a lovely view above the greenery.
A door to the right of staircase at the landing, leads to a spacious living room with a door on the right leading out to the private garden, and two bedrooms on the left. Of the two bedrooms, the master is en suite with Jacuzzi where one can relax in a home spa. The other one is a twin with two single beds. The twin shares the bathroom with loft bedroom. A double sofa bed in living room adds to bed space and is available when in a party and other rooms are full.
In keeping with the need for a quiet atmosphere, no television set is provided.
The APARTMENT is ideal for short term stays for business people. The house has a character having been built about a century ago. The apartment is accessed through a beautiful cedar wood staircase which leads to a living room with beautiful curved ceiling, with a door leading out to a gorgeous cedar wood balcony with a stunning view of the garden. A long table in the balcony can be used for dining, as a work table or for meetings. Silhouetted lights at balcony corners give the place a romantic effect in the evening.
There are 3 bedrooms which share one bathroom with instant heater bath tub with a telephone shower; a kitchen with an electric/gas cooker and a fridge; a toilet , living room and the balcony. The large spacious Prime bedroom as a gorgeous king bed. It has two windows one of which is a bay window (has mantelpiece) that has a beautiful view of the garden. It can be used as a desk.
The second (Family) bedroom is also spacious and has two queen double beds.
The third bedroom has a single queen bed but can also be used as a study
HONEYMOON EXPERIENCE TREAT
• Having NO DISTURBANCE by having the entire cottage or Apartment to yourselves for up to 3 days at a 30% DISCOUNT of daily rate plus a bottle of Champagne ($90 or a bottle of Sparkling wine ($40)
• A bouquet of flowers;
• Daily cottage room servicing and laundry IF requested.
CHECK IN / CHECK OUT
CHECK-IN: 10 am. If room is not yet vacated, check-in is from 12 noon.
Earlier Check-In incurs the previous night's full charge.
CHECK-OUT: 12 noon. As a courtesy to guests, use of the room up to 6pm is possible - if the room is not taken - but is charged at half daily rate.
TELEPHONE: Pre-paid landline phone with VOIP facility for int'l calls available. Usage will be charged to guests.
INTERNET: 3G modem available but guests must pay for airtime.
SERVICES & AMENITIES
1. FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST: This includes fruit, cereals, bread, tea or coffee. We provide foodstuffs and you make breakfast to your taste. Other meals can be cooked on site or taken at the many lovely restaurants around
2. SMOKING: No smoking inside the cottage. You can smoke in the garden.
3. LIGHTING: Energy efficient bulbs are used throughout the cottage. Recess lighting is an added feature in the master en-suite bathroom.
4. STORAGE: Each room has closets and drawers. Hangers are also provided.
5. HOUSEKEEPING: The rooms are serviced daily. Bedding and towels provided.
6. LAUNDRY: Available free for a reasonable quantity.
7. SECURITY: For over 20 years the homestead has been the haven of peace for staff members of UN and International Non-Government Organizations (NGOs). There has been no security incident. We are within the World Bank approved security safe area and have on board a guard and 24 hour "Radar" Flying Squad backup service. A police station is situated close by. The presence of several embassies and proximity to State House ensures adequate police security coverage.
8. ACCESSIBILITY: The cottage can be reached from the City centre by taxi ride or by public transport "matatu or ma-3 (No. 46) to Chaka Place and then $2 taxi. Jomo Kenyatta Int'l airport transfer (US $ 25/ car load) arrangements available.
The UN workers who stay at the cottage are PLEASANTLY surprised that they have no TRAFFIC HUSTLE as they go against the CITY incoming traffic in the morning and outgoing traffic in the evening.
THINGS TO DO
1. DISCOVER: Come to Kenya and discover. Stay at Kiloran House Cottage before you launch your quest.
a) In Nairobi David Sheldrick Baby Elephants, Nairobi Park , Kazuri Beadworks etc for about US $ 120 plus fees;
b) Day Hiking Safari at Hell's Gate National Park for $ 100 + park fees.
For more information enquire with us about our tours safaris.
2. DINING: Guests may dine at nearby restaurants which include Palacina Hotel's Moonflower (International Cuisine), Osteria (Italian), Cedars (Lebanese), Alfajiri, Coco Jambo (Local cuisine) just to name a few.
3. SHOPPING: The various shopping boroughs include but not limited to Yaya shopping centre (literally minutes away), Westlands and Village Market. The famed Maasai market takes place on Saturdays and nearby at Yaya shopping centre on Sundays.
4. MEDICARE: Nearby hospital, Nairobi Hospital. There are many pharmacies as well. A word of advice, it is good to take precaution against malaria
The cottage is close to Yaya Centre on Kitale ln off Dennis Pritt rd after Rose Avenue junction, Intnl Comtee Red Cross and St Georges Primary School. It is next to Palacina Hotel and is close to Thai Embassy.
It can be reached from the City centre by taxi ride ($ 5) or by public transport (No. 46)to Chaka Place and then $ 2 taxi ride or a ten minute walk.
Transfer to or from JKIA airport is USD $ 25 if after 2000 GMT, otherwise $ 35. We can arrange for you to be met at airport on request.
||- Kitchen Facilities|
|- Laundry Facilities|| Internet Access:
Latest Customer Reviews and Ratings
(Hostelworld.com and Affiliate sites)
The ratings in the rating box are based on all-time feedback for Cottage Nairobi and are the opinions of the customers who submitted them; they do not express the opinions of Hostelworld.com or our affiliate sites.